Podcasting since 2005! Listen to Latest SolderSmoke

Friday, July 1, 2016

Hardcore Homebrew SWR Measurement

No store-bought, appliance, CB-ish Radio Shack SWR meters for the OM who built the SWR sensor on the right.  No! He rolled his own center conductor and pick-up loops.   Dennis Klipa and I have been exploring the theory behind SWR meters,  so when I saw this thing, I immediately went for it.  I picked it up at the Manassas Hamfest.  I kick myself for not asking the seller for the story behind this project. If anyone has any ideas on how/why/who built this thing, please let me know.  The seller was tailgating close to the stables at Manassas on June 19, 2016. 

3 comments:

  1. But that meters looks like a CBish SWR meter from Radio Shack, I got one twenty years ago with a CB set for five dollars.

    The sensor is separate, which is surely why the meter portion is reused in this project. Though, I'm not sure the original sensor is inherently bad, lots of people bought them.

    Michael

    ReplyDelete
  2. Michael: The Hardcore Homebrew SWR measuring device I was referring to is in the box on the right. The Radio Shack SWR meter was shown just for contrast. The builder had a jack (visible on the top) to which I guess he attached a meter and a level-control pot. I have modified the article to clarify a bit. 73 Bill

    ReplyDelete
  3. Definitely looks home-brew! Appears to be a directional coupler I'd bet this or something real close is the schematic: http://www.qsl.net/n9zia/24swr/block.gif

    ReplyDelete

Designer: Douglas Bowman | Dimodifikasi oleh Abdul Munir Original Posting Rounders 3 Column