Podcasting since 2005! Listen to Latest SolderSmoke

Sunday, December 4, 2016

Boxed-up and Looking Good: An End to "HRO Al Fresco"


The "al fresco" phase has ended for my HRO receiver project.  As has happened with homebrew projects around the world, this rig was literally pushed aside on the workbench to make room for BITX-40 Module Mania.  I began to worry that the circuitry of the HRO receiver might suffer damage from the various kinds of electronic construction mayhem that take place on our workbenches.  Also, I wanted to see what it would look like in the nice big metal box that Tim Sutton had sent me (thanks again Tim.)  And I was hoping that the box would help with the AM broadcast breakthrough that I sometimes hear with this receiver.  So, as you can see, I have good excuses for declaring Basta! on the HRO Al Fresco. 

I think it looks great.  Black on silver is very cool.  It sounds great.  I'm listening to 40 right now. Thanks to Armand WA1UQO  for the very cool HRO dial that got this all started.   

5 comments:

  1. Bravisimo Bill!! I think Shep would be proud of this one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Bill - I was unable to find your email, so I am posting my question here.

    As best I recall, you had written a piece on how/why a trifilar is used (perhaps in your book?).

    It would be appreciated if you could point me in the right direction.

    Bob
    WA2I

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Bob: e-mail is soldersmoke@yahoo.com
      In the book, I discuss how tirfilar transfomrers work in the simple two diode balanced modulators used by Doug DeMaw. Hope this helps. 73 Bill

      Delete
    2. That's it! Pages 134 to 135 - simply and elegantly described. Thank you!
      73
      Bob

      Delete

Designer: Douglas Bowman | Dimodifikasi oleh Abdul Munir Original Posting Rounders 3 Column